What is Gbanga?
Gbanga is a mobile platform for hosting an unlimited number of mixed-reality quests that are highly immersive and exciting to play with players around the world.
What are the features?
Gbanga blurs reality with fiction, augmenting your daily life with fun gaming experiences. The platform helps you connect with players through quests, challenges and compelling interactive stories on-the-go. In Gbanga, you change the course of the game simply by walking and relocating in the real world.
What are mixed-reality quests?
Mixed-reality quests are coordinated with Gbanga’s mobile app however quest elements may be located in the real-world. Like role-playing: real-world locations act as scenes, passersby turn into extras and ordinary objects become props.
What makes Gbanga fun?
Gbanga is a global community of friends and players connected through location-based quests. At any time of day, anywhere in the world, mixed-reality adventures are awaiting nearby. The platform also features a free alternative to mobile messages (SMS).
Gbanga is the mutliplayer radar you’ve been waiting for. Check-in to your local Gbanga location and join the fun
Who is crafting Gbanga?
Besides being completely addicted to all forms of playful entertainment, the creators of Gbanga are also highly trained and experienced developers of games and distributed infrastructure! The team consists of the following players:
We have a dedicated and experienced advisory board.
When was Gbanga founded?
Julio Perez and Matthias Sala thought about entertaining location-based services whilst working on their university project, "Smart Vacuum Cleaner," at the Federal Institute of Technology (ETH) in Zurich. In 2007, they built a prototype. In 2008, they commited full-time to the product to launch their first mixed-reality game Gbanga Zooh in 2009. In May 2010, Gbanga was published as an ongoing service available worldwide.
Is Gbanga a success?
We certainly think so! As does the industry having nominating us for a bunch of awards:
Can I work at Gbanga?
We're actively hiring. If you think you could make a difference at Gbanga, check our job descriptions for open positions and drop Matthias a line. We're looking forward to hearing from you.
Can I partner with or invest in Gbanga?
Are you as excited about Gbanga as we are?! Would you like to join us on our way to world domination? Then just call +41 43 536 67 01 and ask for Matthias, or drop us an email.
What are your milestones?
Gbanga is an innovative Swiss start-up, turning regular cell phones into interactive entertainment machines. For 5 years, Gbanga has been pioneering the field of location-based gaming and entertainment advertisement:
Read more on Wikipedia.org and in the CrunchBase.
- Gbanga was nominated for the second time for the Swiss ICT Award in the category Newcomer
- Beta HTML5 app is launched for Gbanga Famiglia
- Various awards and nominations such as winner of AppCircus at the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona; only European nominee at GamesBeat’s “Who’s got game competition” and; European finalist in the Top 100 Red Herring Europe
- Mafia Dog is launched for Gbanga Famiglia
- World Domination Satellite purchasable item is launched for Gbanga Famiglia, the most expensive in-game item at time price at $99 US. One is sold within 3 hours of going on sale.
- Gbanga launches its API at the The Next Web Hackaton in Amsterdam
- Gbanga launches the new Phonebooth side-quests for Gbanga Famiglia
- Gbanga was nominated for the Swiss ICT Award in the category Newcomer
- Gbanga Famiglia, a mafia-themed location-based game is launched on the Gbanga platform. It is available world-wide (open beta)
- Gbanga Ballenberg, a virtual scavenger hunt for tourism in cooperation with IMI University Center Lucerne
- Various award nominations such as IMGA International Mobile Game Award, Business Idea 2010, Best of Swiss Web Award Shortlist 2010
- Venture leader participation
- Gbanga Zooh, an educational location-based campaign for Zurich Zoo is launched in the City of Zurich (closed alpha)
- Coaching acceptance by Swiss Confederation's Innovation Promotion Agency CTI
- Gbanga Mr. X, a public transport racing game for Zurich
- Millform Inc. is founded by Matthias Sala, Julio Perez and Werner Sala
- Paper prototype is created in a shared student flat in Zurich
- Technical prototype is created
- Matthias Sala and Julio Perez, two Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (ETH Zurich) graduates, discuss the idea of a mixed-reality monopoly game during their research placements at Xerox PARC and the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) in the US.
Need more info? Please email email@example.com. Let us know if it is urgent.
You are working for a business? Please check the business section to learn how your business can profit from Gbanga. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for more info.
You are a fan? Feel free to connect to our player profiles and chat with us. Maybe we'll send you a poster.